- First, determine if you are talking about countables or non-countables.
For more information see our previous POST about this topic.
- Use HOW MANY for countables or plural concepts.
Ex.1) How many boxes do you need?
Ex.2) How many people did you see at the gate?
- Use HOW MUCH for non-countable or singular concepts.
Ex.3) How much coffee would you like?
Ex.4) How much pressure can the tank sustain?
- Use HOW MUCH for questions where the non-countable concept is implied by context, but not used directly.
Ex.5) How much does the computer cost?
How much implies how much "money" (non-countable concept)
Ex.6) How much does the car get per gallon/liter?
How much implies how much "distance" (non-countable concept)
- Here are some irregular plural countables to be aware of:
Man > men
Woman > women
Child > children
Person > people
Mouse > mice
Monday, June 28, 2010
HOW MUCH or HOW MANY?
For many English Users, these two question forms generate confusion. Below are some guidelines to determine the correct use: